V was supernice to nominate me for a Liebster Award which just makes me giddy. You should totally check out her blog Verbal Spew for all kinds of randomness about tv and film and being awesome and Irish. ❤
I haven't been blogging over here on WordPress that long and didn't even know my posts were entertaining enough for anyone to read, let alone someone nominate me for a sweet little award. I mean, look how cute it is:
I mean, come on, it looks like a strawberry donut of luuuuv. Mmmm…donuts…
If you’re like me and new to these blog awards, here is the low-down of what a nominee/winner should do:
1. Post the Liebster Award graphic on your site.
2. Thank the blogger who nominated your blog.
3. The nominee is asked to write 11 facts about themselves.
4. Answer the 11 questions from the post of the person who nominated them.
5. The nominee will nominate 9 other blogs.
6. The nominee will then create 11 questions of their own for their nominated bloggers to answer in their Liebster post.
So, 11 facts about me:
1. I’ve had the username orangerful since high school.
2. I have a very faint scar on my cheek from when I was really little an apparently tried to shave.
3. I work in a public library and I have my master’s degree in library and information sciences.
4. I’m a Navy brat so even though I’ve lived in Maryland for most of my life, I don’t identify as a Marylander.
5. My favorite city is Boston.
6. I can roll my tongue, which is apparently not something everyone can do.
7. I played the flute from 6th grade through high school. I was Drum Major of my marching band.
8. I love to travel. I prefer driving to flying. I like the freedom of a road trip.
9. I worked at a radio station for a year and was an “on-air personality” (apparently that is the preferred term to “disc jockey” or “DJ”). I quit because, as you probably can guess, working in radio is less about music and more about advertising. Plus the entertainment business is a scary place.
10. I have an undergraduate degree in American Studies with my emphasis on popular culture and communications. In other words, I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
11. I went to Australia for 18 days in 1998 and loved it.
**PHEW** Wow, that was more difficult than I thought it would be! I guess I don’t talk about myself that much. And now for the questions at V left on her blog:
1. What is your very first childhood memory? I’ve never really had a good memory so these questions usually throw me because I find it hard to separate out actual memories vs photographs or home videos I saw that reminded me. But here’s a classic: I remember trying to record music off of MTV by holding my boombox up to the TV speaker. I was at my grandparents house and “UHF” by Weird Al came on and I got so excited I leaned my boombox up against the TV and the knob went “CLICK” and the TV shut off. I had that tape for the rest of the summer and about 5 seconds into the song you hear the “CLICK” and then me sing – “oooooh noooo!” and the buzz of the TV coming back.
2. You’ve hit the big-time. You’ve just won the Nobel Peace Prize. You’ve won the lottery. You’ve gained fame by ruthlessly pursuing the monsters that kidnapped a family member. You’ve been put in jail because you’re just too damn good-looking and the safety of singletons everywhere is threatened by your freedom. They’re making a movie about you. Who plays you, why, and what is the movie called? I’d like Katee Sackhoff to play me in the biopic entitled “CHECKED OUT” about a librarian who has had it up to HERE with all these crazy people.
3. It’s midnight and you’re hungry. What is your go-to snack?
POPCORN! It’s not a very stealthy snack, but I prefer salty to sweet plus it’s an excuse to eat, like, half a stick of butter.
4. The old hypothetical dinner party conundrum. You can invite any four people, alive or dead, famous or not, to a dinner party. Who do you invite and why? Joss Whedon, Kristen Bell, Felicia Day and Dunc.
5. What do you want to be when you grow up? I have no idea. 🙂
6. What do you do to unwind after a tough day? Curl up in front of the TV with a hard cider, my boy, and Hulu.com (or if it was really bad, throw in a classic Buffy episode).
7. If you could be an animal for a day what animal would you be? A cat so I could just sleep and be fed and get belly rubs like my two bums do.
8. Do you have a guilty, secret pleasure that you think you probably shouldn’t? Like Reality TV, or Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen? Tell me! I don’t feel guilty about any of my pleasures. I have some pretty awful music in my iTunes – yesterday when the boyfriend sat down to use my computer “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls came up on shuffle. Gotta admit though, it’s still catchy after all these years.
9. There has been an “atmospheric phenomenon” and you wake up with a superpower. You can make yourself invisible at whim. Who do you spy on, and why? …I honestly cannot think of an answer to this one. Sadly, the first thing that popped into my head was to go to another library and see how people work there LOL. Sneak around into the backroom. But I don’t have any archnemisisies to spy on or anything exciting like that. Maybe I’d just try to figure out what the hell my cats do all day when no one is home to pet them!
10. I’m sure you have a lovely name, but if you could change it to anything, what name would you choose? When I was a kid, I hated my name. I think it’s uniqueness bothered me. No joke, my “play” name when I was a little was “Kathy”. I know, not really the most imaginative. But if I had to pick a new name…hm…maybe Leia.
11. Star Wars or Star Trek? If neither, you’d better have a damn good reason. LOL I guess I just sort of answered that. While I love both and don’t think it’s fair to compare them (Star Wars is really just fantasy in space while Star Trek is more true sci-fi, IMO), Star Wars wins for me. It’s been my fandom since before I was born. It’s just a great reworking of all the archetypes, a classic battle of good and evil. And I love the way it brings people together, especially at 501st events, all the different kinds of people of all ages who just love Star Wars.
And now I must nominate 9 more fantastic blogs!
simple tricks & nonsense – all the geekery, not putting up with your BS
Jordan and Eddie (The Movie Guys) – they watch way more scary movies than me but their quick and fun reviews have helped me find a few buried treasures
the westologist – probably the most intellectual blog in my Reader right now but I learn so much from each post!
Bright Line Cosplay – my friend Jess makes awesome costumes and she helped get me into the world of Conventions (and makes me wish I had the talent/patience/skills to cosplay). Lots of cool pictures of costumes she is working on and other fun stuff she has seen.
Lyle’s Movie Files – geeking out over movies, TV, and toys – my kind of blog.
Random Ramblings of a Devoted Fangirl – about as focused as my blog when it comes to spreading the love for all her favorite things. Always fun to have someone else to fangirl with!
the droid you’re looking for – well thought out examinations of pop culture…and some silly stick figure posts when things get too serious.
I know that’s not 9 blogs but they are all extra awesome so just pretend I posted 9 and click through and add a few to your Reader. There’s something for everyone!
Okay, eleven questions for my nominees to answer (if they want to, if not, just know I ❤ you):
1. You're walking down the street and a man runs up to you and says you're the next big thing and he can get you on any TV show! Which show do you pick?
2. What was the last album you bought (either physical CD or MP3 – but it has to be a full album)?
3. When did you start blogging and why?
4. Who was your favorite elementary school teacher?
5. Did you ride the bus or walk to school?
6. It's your birthday and we have a TARDIS and a magic gift card with no limit – where do you want to go for dinner?
7. Beatles or Rolling Stones?
8. What was the last game you played (video or board, depending on your style)?
9. What book have you read more than once? (and if you haven't ever read a book more than once, what book would you like to reread)?
10. What's your favorite t-shirt in your wardrobe?
11. What's your soda of choice?