I finished this last night, actually before the 3-week due date so that says something right there.
What I liked:
- It was SPOOKY! Creepy dolls! Demented puppets! Things going BUMP in the dark!
- It maintained the spooky pretty well for the 400 pages.
- It was spooky-focused. Yeah, there was some family drama but it all tied into the setting and theme
What I would have changed:
- I think it could have been shortened by about 100 pages. Once it got to where it was going, I could see the fat that could have been trimmed.
- One less fight between Louise and Mark and Louise saying she was going to leave.
But overall I liked it, 8/10, solid horror book that has a decent pacing for building the tension without losing the plot. Louise and Mark are a bit much at the start, but it balances out eventually and the finale had some truly unsettling images.